Promoting an understanding and appreciation of the history and architecture of the Marquette Neighborhood.
banner - workers outside L.L. Olds Seed Company, 712 Williamson St.
Friends of Historic Third Lake Ridge

The Meyer and Moeglin families of Williamson St


315 S. Baldwin St and 626 Williamson

The Christian H. Meyer House at 315 S. Baldwin was recently gutted of it's original interior and converted from a residence to a commerical use. The house was built on the site of the Crystal Corner building at 1302 Williamson around 1880, and was moved around the corner to the present site for the construction of the commerical structure in the teens. Christian Meyer and family lived in the house until his death in 1940.

Moeglein Family History (pdf)
Jospeh Moeglein Obituraries


Story of Christian Henry Meyer (brother of Frederick August Meyer)

From book, “Mutti Came To Middleton” — page 125 - 126

A move from the pretty little lakeshore home had been hastened by an episode of the late winter.

Henry and gone to work in Stoughton in the morning. He planned to stay several days to save time. Dora and the baby where home alone. She busied herself with her household tasks. At noon she saw the threatening clouds in the west and soon snowflakes began to fall. The cutting wind, gained momentum over wide sweep of the lake, sent the snow like icy pellets against the windowpanes. Dora tended the fire. As the day waned, she put the sleepy baby in her little crib. The crackling fire was a comforting sound as the howling wind shut her off from the world around.

Suddenly the door opened! A group of Indians silently filed in and surrounded the stove. They shook the snow from their blankets and grunted and grumbled. They were unkempt and sullen, and Dora smelled alcohol and knew they had been drinking. Terrified she caught up her sleeping child, threw a heavy shawl over her head, and ran from the house. Wading knee deep in the snow, buffeted by the wind, stumbling, shivering, half frozen, and speechless with fright, she found her way at last to the nearest neighbor.

Henry knew Dora feared the Indians, but believing them harmless had thought that in time Dora would become accustomed to their presence. He knew that they retuned in small groups to their ancient campsite on the south shore of Lake Monona at Winnequah, Squaw Point, and around the point where the large number of effigy mounds and tumuli, covered with trees and stumps, gave evidence of their ancient burial grounds. They stopped at the settler’s homes only for food and to warm themselves at a cheerful fire.

When Henry returned from Stoughton and heard Dora’s story of her flight in the storm, he resolved that they must leave the country and move into the city.

Poor Henry! Alas, even this move did not completely solve the Indian problem. Usually when they came alone the highway, they stopped at neighbor Steffen’s house. Dora could not conquer her childish fear, and she worried for the welfare of poor ailing Mrs. Steffen, and more still for the frail Steffen baby. She had been present one day when Mrs. Steffen was bathing the wee child. The Indian had walked in and seeing that the child was sickly and the mother herself was not strong, they said in their guttural voices, “Poor woman, Poor woman. Kill him.” Pointing to the baby, “Kill him.” It was enough to give Dora a nightmare.

After the Sunday dinner, Mutti and the two young couples walked out to the corner of Williamson and Baldwin Streets to see the new house. There would be a lawn, and the garden was spaded and surrounded by a white picket fence. It was quiet and peaceful there.